Albion Recorder, November 17, 1997, pg. 4-A
The recent announcement that the City of Albion will be receiving $650,000 in state funds to demolish portions of the abandoned Union Steel Products complex just south of the Junior High School is certainly welcome news. Councilman Bill Wheaton has been trying for years to get N. Huron St. reopened to traffic. This will greatly help with traffic flow around the school and reduce traffic on the other side streets, especially Bidwell St. whose narrow width was not designed to handle the traffic it gets due to Huron St. being closed.
It is hard to believe that this was once the site of one of Albion’s major employers which had more than 1,000 persons on the payroll.
It is hard to believe that this was once the site of one of Albion’s major employers which had more than 1,000 persons on the payroll. It was also sad to see the company go “downhill” during the 1970s and 1980s following its original sale in 1969 and subsequent sales. During World War II, Union Steel produced items for the military, and received the Army-Navy “E” award for excellence. The company newsletter “Union Steel Messenger” was filled with family type photographs and stories for many years, indicating it personal involvement in the Albion community.
The Union Steel Screen Company was organized in Battle Creek on December 31, 1902. It operated there in cramped quarters for a year with a payroll of 10 persons. It moved to Jackson in 1904, and then came to Albion in 1905 after 40 Albionites became stockholders in the firm. President of the firm was R. F. Agnew; George E. Dean was secretary; John G. Brown served as treasurer. The firm first made two products: a sand screen, and an oven rack.
The firm was first located here on the southwest corner of W. Michigan and N. Clinton Streets. Later the site became the headquarters of the Albion Bolt Company, which burned in 1931. You can still view the foundations of the building under the billboards which are now located there. Union Steel was located here for three years, and in 1908 moved to its permanent headquarters on N. Berrien St. The new plant was a one story brick structure (formerly the Elms Buggy Company) adjacent to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad tracks.
As the firm increased its product line, it expanded its facilities. The name was changed to Union Steel Products in 1915, and the rest is history. For many years Union Steel Products was the world’s largest manufacturer of oven and broiler pan shelves. President of the firm from 1916 to 1932 was George E. Dean, a former bicycle dealer and sidewalk contractor. He died in 1932, and was succeeded by his son W. Clark Dean, who served as a major of Albion from 1945 to 1946.
This week we present a photograph of the first Union Steel location in Albion, just a block west of downtown Albion.
See other articles on this site about Union Steel Products:
More articles by Frank Passic from this website.
Washington Gardner School – by Frank Passic
Washington Gardner School – From 1872-2011, a school has sat on E. Michigan Avenue as a landmark where thousands of pupils have been educated and
THE OLD RUGGED CROSS HISTORICAL MARKER DESTROYED – by Frank Passic
That Cross marker stood there for sixty-one years as one of Albion’s “claim to fame,” until 2020, when it was hit by a vehicle and
ALBION BAND SHELL SCULPTURE ARTIST DISCOVERED! – by Frank Passic
This has been a mystery for many years: Who designed the two musical sculpture reliefs on the Band Shell in Victory Park? Morning Star, September
THE OLD RUGGED CROSS HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME – WRITTEN IN ALBION – by Frank Passic
The Old Rugged House Rev. Bennard once quipped, “I’ve been introduced as the author of ‘The Old Gray Mare,’ ‘The Old Oaken Bucket,’ and ‘Rock
“THE OLD RUGGED CROSS” WRITTEN IN ALBION – by Frank Passic
The Old Rugged House In 1912 Rev. Bennard lived in an apartment at the home of Professor Delos Fall (formerly the Andrew Mason Fitch house),
Censor Theatre Early Albion Cinema – by Frank Passic
Censor Theatre, Albion, Mich, 1916 The first “talkie” movie that came to Albion was shown at the Censor Theatre in May, 1929; it was a
An Albion native, Frank Passic is a 1971 graduate of Albion High School and has been writing Albion history articles since 1976. He is the author of several books including Albion in Review, and Growing Up in Albion.
This story is reprinted with permission from Frank Passic.
All text © 2020 Frank Passic. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of The Recorder.
See more articles by Frank, and quoting Frank, on this web page: www.albionmich.net/writer-passic
To learn more about how your business can help to support this website, and to get links back to your website, please contact us by clicking here.
Michigan Prints website offers prints and notecards of Albion, and other places.
Each print has a legend.
The legend for “Winter Morning” begins like this:
“This art of Albion Michigan was created to show a view of Albion from the north end of downtown Albion looking south.
It was created in the early 1980’s and shows several Albion businesses that have moved or changed, and some that are still operating well into the 21st century.
The price of gas shown in the gas station sign is $1.27 per gallon, and the old grain elevator is shown on the far left.”