One major Albion employer, Union Steel Products, had at least 149 employees in active service during WWII.
One major Albion employer, Union Steel Products, had at least 149 employees in active service during WWII. Their company magazine, the Union Steel Messenger, was regularly filled with photographs, letters, and news about its soldier/sailors during those War years. These issues from 1942 through 1945 are classics, and make an excellent reference source for those wishing to learn more of Albion’s contribution to the War effort.
In August, 1946 on the 1st anniversary of V-J (Victory over Japan) day, Union Steel published a special edition of the Messenger in honor of its veterans who had returned to work at USP. It was edited by Ivadene Zenoniani. The publication stated that one out of every four persons at USP was a veteran, and an “honor roll” listing of “Our Global Warriors” appeared on page 18.
This special issue of The Messenger contained numerous biographies and photographs of many of Union Steel’s veteran soldiers.
This included one woman, Olivia Zenoniani, described as “USPs ‘First WAVE.’” Each biography gave a synopsis of their service during the War. There also was a page in remembrance of six men who had been killed during the War: Lloyd Wendorf, Joseph Brabant, Charles Deforest, Arthur Schenman, Melvin King, and Jack Poppen.
From our Historical Notebook this week we present the cover of this special Union Steel Messenger issue, entitled “A Salute to Our Veterans.” I encourage our readers to look through World War II era copies of the Union Steel Messenger to learn more about those in Albion who served our country during this critical time in our history. Frank has numerous issues for sale.
More articles by Frank Passic from this website.
Censor Theatre, Albion, Mich, 1916 The first “talkie” movie that came to Albion was shown at the Censor Theatre in May, 1929; it was a
An Albion native, Frank Passic is a 1971 graduate of Albion High School and has been writing Albion history articles since 1976. He is the author of several books including Albion in Review, and Growing Up in Albion.
This story is reprinted with permission from Frank Passic.
All text © 2020 Frank Passic. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of The Recorder.
See more articles by Frank, and quoting Frank, on this web page: www.albionmich.net/writer-passic
Michigan Prints website offers prints and notecards of Albion, and other places.
Each print has a legend.
The legend for “White Mill” begins like this:
“The White Mill was erected in 1876 by Manley Amsden (1831-1912) and J. William Clark to replace the Peabody/Gothic Mill upstream that had burned on June 22, 1876.
It utilized the waters of the Gothic millrace, which tapped the east fork of the Kalamazoo River at “Dutchtown” on S. Hannah St. Lloyd Park is built on the foundation for this mill.“