Gardner House Museum

 

Q: What historical tourism spot in Albion has a special event for each season?

A:  The Gardner House Museum, located at 509 South Superior Street, Albion, Michigan.


Q: What are the special events for each season?

A:  Click here to jump below and see pictures of each of the seasonal special events.


Q:  What historical designations does the Gardner House Museum have?

A:  The Gardner House Museum has both a Michigan Historic Marker, which is visible year round on site, and also a National Historic Designation that is listed on this page.


Q: What is unique about the architectural style of the Gardner House Museum?

A: The Gardner House is a two-story Gothic Victorian brick mansion with alternating shades of yellow brick. It has a mansard roof with shingles set in an imbricated pattern. The form and detail of the exterior porches and towers exhibit typical Gothic elements of style.


Q: Can I see more information about both of these markers online now?

A:  Yes.  Click here to jump below to links with more information.


Q: What special historical display is going to be featured on the second floor during 2019?

A:  African-American Presence in Albion – with an emphasis on the 20th century by historian Bob Wall will be open during the usual summer weekend hours at the Gardner House.  See more about this below.


Q: Where can I see the Gardner House Museum dates of special events?

A:  Visit AlbionMich.net/calendar where we have big tourism events on one calendar and also links to all other community calendars.


Q: Where can I get more official information about the Gardner House Museum?

A: albionhistoricalsociety.org


Q: Where can I preview more of Albion’s cultural destinations?

A:  Visit this link: AlbionMich.net/culture


Annual Gardner House Museum Events:

Winter: 12th Night celebration.

From the calendar on Albionmich.net website:

In 2017 the official times are Saturday, January 6, from 5:30 – 7:30, and Sunday, January 7, 2017, from 2:00 pm – 4:00 p.m.

For future events, the following information is a guideline to the times of the event.  The 12th night celebration is a repeating event hosted by the Albion Historical Society. It is traditionally held on the 12th day after Christmas, January 6th from 5:30 – 7:30. Check the Albion e-news to double check these times. This listing is an estimate only. There is also usually a Saturday or Sunday afternoon opportunity to see the decorated Gardner House and to enjoy the Yuletide caroling from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. the Saturday or Sunday after January 6.

For official information visit the Albion Historical Society website at: albionhistoricalsociety.org



Spring: Mother’s Day Tea

Information from past events:  The Albion Historical Society will celebrate the 200th birthday of Juliette Calhoun Blakeley at its annual Mother’s Day Tea on Saturday, before Mother’s Day.  “Juliette” will be on hand to seat guests at either 11:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m., and reservations are required. Guests are urged to dress for high tea for this special occasion.

Also in past events, guests were allowed to dress up for a photo and were given a free photo.  This was a one-time occurrence but an example is shown. The ladies in the example are also authors of this website.

Learn more about Juliette Calhoun Blakeley – the “Mother of Mother’s Day” by clicking here: albionmich.net/mothers-day-in-albion/


Summer: Garden Party at the Gardner

Began as a perennial flower exchange but evolved into one of Albion’s top craft events along with the annual French Market in June, and the Festival of the Forks in September.  A photo tour of the garden party can be seen on this link. albionmich.net/garden-party-at-the-gardner/

 


Fall:  Festival of the Forks tours – The Festival of the Forks in Albion takes place on the 3rd full weekend that includes a Friday in September each year.  One of the favorite destinations is the Gardner House Museum.  The Museum is always free to the public but donations are gratefully accepted.


Special displays at the Gardner House – the second floor is designated for special displays.  In 2018 there was a special display to honor Albion’s veterans. See a tour of the Gardner House Museum by clicking here:  albionmich.net/tour-of-gardner-house-museum/


In 2019 there is a special display to highlight the African-American Presence in Albion with an emphasis on the 20th century.

Learn more about this photo that shows a statewide emancipation day celebration that took place in Albion in 1927 on this link: http://www.albionmich.com/history/histor_notebook/940731.shtml

Learn more about Holland Park, that is named to honor Robert Holland who was an advocate to desegregate Albion’s schools on this link:
http://albionmich.net/labor-day-albion-tour-of-history-hill/


back to the top of this page

Historical Designations for the Gardner House Museum

National Historic Significance Designation – was given on May 6, 1971.    See this page for more information:  National Register of Historic Places listings in Calhoun County, Michigan.  Click on the name of the city tab at the top to see the Albion national designations all together at the top.

Michigan Historical Marker

Gardner House Museum as a historic marker from the State of Michigan that can be seen in the front yard of the location.  Here are the words from that marker

From the Michigan historic marker:

Augustus P. Gardner (1817-1905), a wealthy hardware merchant built this Victorian style house in 1875. A three-story, thirteen-room mansion with a mansard roof, it was Gardner’s home until his death in 1905.

In 1966, after decades of neglect, the house was purchased by the
Albion Historical Society. Restored, it houses a local museum. Five of the rooms are furnished as a nineteenth-century home and the remainder feature permanent and rotating exhibits. This house is among the last of its type in this area.

Historical tourism is becoming increasingly important to Albion as its rich cultural heritage and location near the interstate are becoming better known.


Another rare Second Empire French style structure is in nearby Marshall Michigan and was built in 1871. Learn more about the Wagner’s Block Building at 143 W. Michigan Ave., Marshall Mich on this link:
http://marshallmich.net/eastend/

 

Kids ‘N’ Stuff Children’s Museum

 

Q- What brings dozens of big yellow buses full of kids to downtown Albion on a regular basis?
A- Kids ‘N’ Stuff Children’s Museum

Q- What is Kids ‘N’ Stuff?
A- It’s a Space Room where kids can wear spacesuits and launch a rocket. It’s an AgKnowledge center where kids can feed cows and pigs. It’s a grocery store where kids can be the cashier. It’s a Messy Art Room where kids can have fun being artists. and it is much more. New exhibits are added regularly.


Q: Where can I preview more of Albion’s cultural destinations?

A:  Visit this link: AlbionMich.net/culture


Learn More

Kids N Stuff is a big destination for families with kids from 6 months old to 106 years old. But it is geared toward the younger set.
Learn more about KNS and their monthly Free Days by visiting kidsnstuff.org/.

To learn more about the history of the project, and the location, keep reading.


History of the location of Kids N Stuff at 301 South Superior Street, Albion, Michigan

The Kids N Stuff building was once the site of J.C. Penney’s in downtown Albion.

This photo from 1962 shows Albion’s brick streets, booming downtown, and the anchor store Penney’s that would bring in people to Albion to do their shopping.  This was before  Amazon. Photo courtesy Frank Passic see more history here of Penney’s:

http://www.albionmich.com/history/histor_notebook/R970929.shtml


The owner of the building, Parker T. “Tom” Feldpausch, was also the owner of the Felpausch grocery store food chain with stores all over Michigan.  He chose to live in his home town, Albion, Michigan.    There is still a Tom Feldpausch award at the annual Chamber of Commerce meeting to honor a person who could live anyway, but they choose to live here in Albion.

After Penney’s closed, and another store took a go at opening here, the building was closed.  But ideas were brewing, and when Becky Mitchell wife of Albion College President Peter Mitchell was inspired by Boston Children’s Museum, she asked Tom to donate a building and the rest is history.

Albion has many downtown entities still in their original location including the Albion District Library, and original Carnegie Library that was built in 1919.  Albion’s City Hall, Post Office, Bohm Theatre and depot are all still functioning in their original locations.  But Kids N Stuff marked the beginning of something new.  A building that is repurposed, to be a new entity.  and that trend is continuing along Superior Street, Albion.

Dickerson Music Co. Historic Business Profile

Dickerson Music Co. has been serving the music needs of Albion for over 60 years.   As part of our in-depth coverage of Albion’s Cultural District, we will be sharing information about its founder, Gar Dickerson.

Later we’ll be showing more about the new owners, Kelly and Ramona Kidder, and related arts and culture information, including the Albion Band Shell.

In the early 1960s, photographer Norm Burlingame came out with a postcard featuring Gar Dickerson and the Albion City Band. Dickerson can be seen in the center, dressed in his gold uniform. The text states, “Featured is the Albion City Band under the direction of Gar Dickerson. Free open air concerts under the stars are scheduled through July and August on Wednesday evenings at 8 pm.”. (the new schedule has concerts on Sundays in the summer) Image courtesy of Frank Passic

The article below is copyright the Recorder. Posted with permission. Please visit and “like” the Recorder’s Facebook page.

Gar Dickerson has lived a music-filled life for decades

By MICHELLE MUELLER Contributing Writer to the Recorder

Dubbed by some “Mr. Music,” Gar Dickerson has operated first, a musical instrument repair store, and then a store selling instruments and sheet music, Dickerson Music, in | Albion since 1955. At age 84, Dickerson is the oldest surviving owner of a business located on the downtown business district’s brick street.

According to Albion historian, Frank Passic, the Dickerson name has been around downtown Albion since the late 1930s, when Gar’s father, John Bion Dickerson, opened the Band Box Cleaners at 117 N. Superior St. ”

“After being at this location for a few years, Dickerson purchased the building next door (119) around 1942, which had formerly been the Paul Hawes Drug Store. By the 1950s the name was changed to Dickerson’s Cleaners.

Click the image to read the article by Frank Passic that was the source for this information.

John’s son Gar began repairing musical equipment in 1951, and this is where Dickerson Music got its start–in the back of his father’s dry cleaning business,” Passic wrote in a 2003 Morning Star article. He described how the sign was placed in the front window of the dry cleaners that said, “Gar Dickerson Musical Instrument Service Rear of Building.”

Dickerson graduated with a music degree from Albion College in 1952, where he played violin in the College’s orchestra. His wife, Dorothy Hoisington Dickerson, was in the class of 1954. Currently, Dorothy operates Books & More bookstore a few doors away from Gar’s store, at 119 N. Superior St. ·

Gar was drafted into the Army and served from 1952 to 1954 as a conscientious objector, doing ‘bite’ x-rays at an Army dental office in San Antonio, TX.

“During that time John sold the business (not the building) to Richard and Stanley Hood. When Gar returned from the service, he went back to repairing musical instruments in the back of the building,” Passic continued. “In late 1955 he moved to 102 N. Superior St. for about six months, and then in 1956 to 115 N. Superior St. in the front of Paul Sauter’s piano tuning business. There he remained for a few years before moving to his present location (201 N. Superior St.] in 1960.”

No Formal Training

Gar had no formal training in the repair of musical instruments but rather was self-taught. When her husband started doing repairs, Dorothy recalls accompanying him on trips to museums where he would spend eons of time simply looking at antique musical devices, silently dissecting them. They once traveled down to Elkhart, IN to tour factories where instruments were made to observe how they were put together.

“I remember visiting one factory where on the wall they had displayed every size of violin lined up all in a row,” Dorothy recalls. There are nine sizes of violins – ranging from full size down to a toddler’s 1/32nd size – and six sizes of violas.

The Dickersons live on a farm in Sheridan Township, which over the decades has seen hay and wheat grown, and Angus cattle, chickens, sheep, and goats raised. They also raised eight children: Greta, Valda, Freya, Gustav, Emma, Mayna, Eric and Hilda. They also have 19 grandchildren and 21 great-grands.

Click the image to read more about the origins of the Albion City Band, and the bandshell.

Albion City Band Concerts at the Victory Park Bandshell

Gar joined the Albion City Band, playing clarinet under the leadership of its then-conductor, Floyd Hoyt. Dickerson took over as the Band’s director in 1959, and held that position for eight years. At that time, the band members contracted with the director for a specified number of rehearsals and performances for the summer season. They would play for the community on Wednesday evenings at the beautiful Art Deco band shell that had been constructed in Victory Park in 1941.

Politics Not As Usual

Dickerson grew his infamous beard in the early 1960s, and some mistook him for a hippie. But his wife says fondly, “He’s not a hippy – just an individual that doesn’t fit a mold. I can’t categorize him, I never could. He marches to a different drummer.”

David Young, one-time editor of the Albion Evening Recorder, recounted this recollection of the colorful Gar in a 2013 column in his online blog, the Wayland Town Broadcast:

“The whole [1980-era rural anti-government, right-wing, anti-tax) saga seemed to start with Sheridan Township farmer Gar Dickerson, a tall, long-haired, bearded man whose hippie appearance belied his politics. He came into the Albion Evening Recorder one afternoon and proceeded to rail for about an hour against  local government’s attempts at land control. It seems his property had an unkempt appearance, loaded with idle farm machinery, dilapidated buildings and inoperable vehicles.”

Served with papers

“Dickerson had been served with papers insisting he was in violation of the township’s junk car ordinance, prompting his crusade against Township Supervisor Marty Wellington. He wrote a lot of nasty letters to the editor in which he suggested township officials were behaving like Nazis.”

“Dickerson and others who believed in the same philosophy of ‘hands off our property’ essentially mobilized like-minded folks and mounted a campaign to recall township officials, but only Constable Gary Landenberger was ousted. His wife, Joyce, the treasurer, Wellington, and all other Township Board members escaped the recall wrath at the polls.”

The Wellington Affair

“I remember being present for a raucous annual township meeting just before April 1, in which Wellington explained the budget and several audience members moved to have the treasurer’s salary severely reduced.” “After Wellington painstakingly explained the budget, Dickerson stood up and exhorted the audience, “Let’s all give Marty a round of applause, an A for effort.” It was only a short time before the failed recall election.”

“But when it came time to file for offices for the August primary of 1980, James Shimkus was Wellington’s opponent on the Republican ballot and Dickerson’s wife was running for clerk. Dickerson himself got a shave and a haircut and announced his candidacy for state representative on the Tisch Party ticket. The party was named for former Shiawassee County Drain Commissioner Robert Tisch, who had campaigned for the anti-tax Tisch Amendment in 1978, but it lost to another state-wide constitutional amendment offered by Richard Headlee. Both Shimkus and Mrs. Dickerson won the Republican primary and cruised in the general election in November.

One of my underlings wrote an opinion piece insisting that Dickerson and Wellington shake hands, make up and move on. Wellington immediately canceled his subscription and I never heard from him again.”

Click the image to learn more about Gar’s inventions.

More recent years

In recent years, Gar was spending free time in his well-equipped workshop building a Doble Triple steam engine which he one day hoped to install in an old truck he’d acquired. Steam engine expert Tom Kimmel said Dickerson’s “workmanship is excellent” and beautifully machined.

Dickerson had been running his music store until late last winter when late-stage heart disease made that impossible. June 2014 Fete de la Musique in Albion honored Albion musician Gar Dickerson for his musical contributions to the community.

 

To subscribe to the Recorder, or to give a subscription as a gift, please call 517-629-0041.  Price is still $48 per year.

Albion Rising YouTube Channel

Recently, Project Rising Tide Albion held a planning meeting to review and track the “Next Steps” for a number of key community projects. The recaps of the breakout meetings were recorded and put onto a Youtube channel called “Albion Rising.”   There was a good attendance from a variety of community groups and citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQGqaxnvRi9r9LvFsu1tirw

These breakout meetings include new these topics:

  • Public Infrastructure
  • Housing
  • Health & Wellness
  • Post Industrial Sites
  • Workforce Development

Labor Day Albion Walk the Trail – Albion Michigan 2018

Labor Day Albion – Walk the Trail

Albion Health Care Alliance and Albion Recreation Department invite the community to come to Albion on Labor Day at 10 a.m., for those who cannot make it for the bigger walk over the Mackinac Bridge.
We meet in Victory Park, and walk over the footbridge of the South Branch of the Kalamazoo River between Victory Park and Rieger Park, and also the North Branch of the Kalamazoo River on Eaton Street bridge, near Washington Street Park. We walk over a half a dozen bridges, large and small.

Labor Day Albion Walk the Trail 2018 group portrait, photo by Catherine Kerley, Albion E-News

How Albion’s Labor Day Walk the Trail started.

Albion Downtown Development director Nidia Wolf started the walk in 2008, one year after the trail was dedicated.  Later she became the director for the Albion Health Care Alliance that still is the leader of this fun outdoor gathering.  The hike is the lower peninsula’s answer for the traditional “Walking the Bridge” on Labor Day for Michigan.  This event grows each year.  It includes crossing over four bridges and walking through seven of Albion’s 17 parks.   The Albion River Trail walk recurs every Labor Day.  It begins with a meeting near the River Trail sign for a group photo near the bandshell in Victory Park at 10:00 a.m. From there people walk northeast to Harris Field.

Ribbon Cutting for the opening of Albion River Trail on Oct. 5, 2007. Some of the officials shown are: Elizabeth Schultheiss, CEO, Albion Community Foundation
Donna Randall. President Albion College
William Wheaton, Mayor of Albion
Colin McCaleb, Administrator KCC Eastern Academic Center
Jeff Bell, President, and CEO of Homestead Savings Bank
Nidia Wolf, Director Albion Downtown Development Authority

Details of the 2018 Walk

Labor Day Albion Trail Walk is handicap friendly, pet-friendly, and kid-friendly.  Mowrer Agency at Albion Train Depot opened up its waiting room so the public could use the restrooms there.  The City of Albion opened the public restrooms at either end of the hike also.   The round trip walk is about 3.5 miles.  Some people opted for shorter walks by parking at one end or midway and carpooling.   There is also an option to walk south to the cemetery.

Walking through Albion’s History

One of the best parts of the Albion River Trail is the chance to see history and admire nature all in one fairly short hike.


New History Segment added in Holland Park

For the 2018 walk, an interactive history lesson was added in Holland Park.  Albion College professor Dr. Wesley Dick gave a talk about Albion’s history.  His talk mentioned the foundries, the great migration of black people to come work, and as a result, the need for educational facilities.  The education at West Ward School was first accepted gratefully, but then later the disparities became more evident and because some of the parents brought this to the attention of the school board and the state laws, Albion’s schools were integrated in 1953.

Watch an excerpt of the talk by clicking the image below.

 

The Albion River Trail is now part of the North Country National Scenic Trail. See the map about this part of the trail on this link:

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/cnd/coref_albion.html

See a brochure with information about the Albion River Trail on this link:
http://albionmich.net/albion-river-trail-brochure/
Motorized vehicles are not permitted.

See the official Albion Health Care Alliance event page here

http://www.albionhca.org/labor-day-walk-the-trai.html

 

Labor Day Albion – Tour of History Hill in Holland Park

In 2018, Albion Health Care Alliance partnered with Albion Recreation Department for the Labor Day Albion – Walk the Trail event. Larry Williams, of the Albion Recreation Department requested that we include Holland Park in the walk to showcase all of the work that has been done recently for the Holland Park Transformation project.

The walkers on the Labor Day Albion hike enjoyed learning at History Hill. In the photo below, Leslie Dick tells the story of Holland Park, West Ward School, and History Hill.  It was a good midpoint on the hike, which occurred on a very warm day in 2018.

Then we were able to hear Albion College’s current longest-tenured professor, Dr. Wesley Arden Dick give a talk about labor and the Great Migration that brought black people to Albion.  Watch an excerpt of that talk below.

For more information about History Hill and West Ward School visit:

AlbionWestWard.net

Albion Black History – West Ward School

For more information about Holland Park Transformation project visit

HollandParkTransformation.com

This event is part of the Albion Walk the Trail 2018 event, sponsored by Albion Health Care Alliance with Albion Recreation Department.
This page and the photos were created by Albion Design and Marketing working on behalf of those groups.


Learn more about the Labor Day Albion Walk the Trail event by clicking the image below.

Labor Day Albion Walk the Trail – Albion Michigan 2018

Visit the official Albion Health Care Alliance event page for Labor Day Albion Walk the Trail.

Victory Park Waterfall – Aerial View

Aerial drone photo of Victory Park Waterfall by Gannon Cottone – March 18, 2016
This view of Victory Park waterfall was from April 23, 2017. Photo by Kent Davis.
Aerial drone photo of Victory Park Waterfall by Gannon Cottone – March 18, 2016
Aerial drone photo of Victory Park Waterfall – March 18, 2016

This view of the waterfall in Victory Park shows one of the most beautiful views of Albion’s natural landscape. It is perhaps the largest landmark of Albion, except for Albion’s brick “Main Street” (Superior Street.)

Some background about the Victory Park waterfall is provided by Frank Passic:  (used with permission)
“It’s an Albion landmark that is so routinely noticed, that it has remained unnoticed when listing the assets of our community. It’s the Victory Park dam/waterfall. This cement structure was built to hold back and regulate the waters of the South Branch of the Kalamazoo River in order to produce electric power at the Commonwealth Power Company plant on E. Erie St. The Company had purchased the old Red Flour Mill on E. Erie St. and converted it into making electricity. The water behind the dam/waterfall was called the millpond. The mill part referred to the flour and sawmills that were once located downstream in a variety of locations. They harnessed the water power to turn the wheels which ground the grain. For example, the Citizens Bank building was once a water-powered flour mill built by Jesse Crowell in 1845.

Adjacent to the dam was a “raceway” where the flowing water “raced” to the mills. This was kept deep in order to provide adequate flowing water pressure by time the water reached the mills downhill. When the mills were working, water was diverted through the raceway, and the flow of water over the Victory Park dam was greatly diminished to the point where there were some bare spots. ”

2005, is a special year. It marks the 100th anniversary of the building of our present Victory Park dam. It was in September, 1905 that local contractor George E. Dean (1872-1932) built our present cement dam to replace the old stone one that had existed at the site since Albion’s pioneer days. The new dam was built over the old one. Mr. Dean, as you might recall, laid Albion’s first cement sidewalks in 1901. One of the last stretches of these walks was finally removed this past fall in September 2004 in the 800 and 900 blocks of S. Eaton St. His sidewalks might now be gone, but his dam remains today! Also during September, 1905, Mr. Dean built the Hannah St. bridge at “Dutchtown,” which included a decorative arch underneath. This bridge is often pictured in postcards of the period.

When the new dam was built, Mr. Dean had to let the water out of the millpond (that’s up by S. Superior St. and Riverside Cemetery) in order to let the cement dry. This created fish traps in holes, where people scooped up large fish by hand in the rocks below the dam. Imagine what the area around Riverside Cemetery would look like today if the water was “let out” as it was in 1905.

The dam area contained various features and contraptions which were used in the regulation of the water for generating purposes. That accounts for the various metal rods that stick up here and there in the structure complex, including the triangular shaped piece of cement in the very center. On the south footbridge below, there is a metal property line boundary marker imbedded in it that states, “Consumers Power.” One special aspect of the dam was the building of a “fish ladder.” This was so fish could swim upstream. It was located on the north side of the dam.

Consumer’s Power Company used the millrace to generate electricity at its E. Erie St. plant until shortly after World War II. Apparently the millpond was filling up with silt and the water pressure (which turned the generators) was lessening as a result. For whatever reason, Consumers abandoned local water powered electricity in Albion. The closest date I can come up with is around 1948 when water powered electric generating stopped. If anyone has an accurate date, please let me know.

After that point, Consumer’s abandoned the site, and much of the land was acquired by the City of Albion. The raceway was filled in the Market Place, and three ponds were fashioned out of what remained upstream. The first was developed to become the skating pond at Rieger Park. The second just north of Walnut St. was transformed into an outdoor hockey rink. This was shaved down and finally eliminated by the 1980s. The pond by the dam still stands today, with the old mechanism used to raise and lower the gates still there, though unused. A buried drain line carries the flowing water into the Rieger Park pond today. The water then exists into the Kalamazoo River, instead of flowing across E. Erie St. as it once did to the Consumer’s Power building.

victory_park_albion_michigan_waterfall_fishladder
1907 Fish Ladder at the Dam, Victory Park Waterfall, Albion, Michigan, photo provided by Frank Passic

From our Historical Notebook this week we present a photograph taken around 1907 of the Victory Park Dam (Note: the area wasn’t known as Victory Park until after World War I). Notice that the water flow is sporadic in this photo, meaning water was being diverted at the time to the raceway on the side for generating purposes. There are also alot of cattails growing on the south side. A woman is standing on the large cement wall on the north side. In the center bottom below, you can see the edge of the fish ladder which once was located here.

With September, 2005 being the 100th anniversary of the building of our present Victory Park dam, and September also being the month the Festival of the Forks is held, wouldn’t it be appropriate to center a theme around this Albion landmark this year? After all, it is located just above “The Forks,” and this dam site is what provided the waterpower which brought the pioneers to Albion.

 

Source of this information:
http://www.albionmich.com/history/histor_notebook/050206.shtml

Ways to Build Resilience in Albion

How Can you Help Build Resilience in your greater community?

Connect with hubs for information on what’s happening:

Volunteer with local initiatives to Share Your Story • Plan Events • Build Your Network

Community Engagement Statement – City of Albion

The City of Albion posts a Community Engagement Statement that is updated at least every 5 years and includes information such as:

Some excerpts:

All residents of the City of Albion are key stakeholders and will continue to be involved in the future development of our community. The City of Albion and its third party consultants will take a proactive approach to public engagement and make concerted efforts to ensure that there are opportunities for all to be involved in the decision-making process when appropriate.

KEY STAKEHOLDERS IN THE CITY OF ALBION In the City of Albion, each project will be evaluated on an individual basis to ensure that all interested and appropriate stakeholders are included.

INFORM—PROVIDE INFORMATION AND ASSIST PUBLIC UNDERSTANDING

• Website – www.CityofAlbionMI.gov announces meetings, post City Council, Planning Commission, and boards/commissions packets and agendas, meeting minutes, and will often contain pages or links for topics of major interest.

• Newspaper – The Albion Recorder is Albion’s weekly newspaper published every Thursday with events from Albion, Concord, and Springport. The Advisor/Chronicle is a free weekly newspaper published on Fridays and covers both Albion and Marshall.

• Cable – The City of Albion posts relevant information about community events, public hearings, and other meetings onWOW! Cable Channel 17. City Council and Planning Commission meetings are also broadcast live on this channel.

• Printed Posting – Available for viewing at the City Hall bulletin board outside of City Hall and Public Service Building bulletin board.

• Announcements – Announcements are made during meetings of the City Council, Planning Commission, and other boards and commissions.

• Press releases and article – The City will issue press releases and information for articles to various newspaper regarding public hearings, developments, and other projects (including the Battle Creek Enquirer, the Homer Index, the Albion/Marshall Advisor & Chronicle, the Albion Recorder, and the Albion E-News).

• Email or postal mail – Interested parties may request to the City Clerk that they be notified personally of meetings/topics for discussion. Postal mailings are sent to neighbors within 300 feet of properties applying for zoning change and variance requests, according to statute.

• YouTube – All City Council Meetings are recorded and posted on YouTube. Recordings can be found on the City of Albion’s YouTube page at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIsBR9GwwVJIL2wyGJCiXf.