Albion Auto Mart has been serving the transportation needs of the Albion area since 1951. We are a family business and a member of the Greater Albion Chamber of Commerce.
See below some select cars representing our inventory with Albion landmarks.
Problem displaying Facebook posts.
History of Albion Auto Mart, the location
Albion Auto Mart at 119 E. Michigan Avenue on the northwest corner of Ionia St. was constructed in the spring of 1917 for dealer Louis F. Striker at a cost of $5,000. S
Mr. Striker opened Albion’s first Dodge automobile dealership here which opened in April, 1917.
Striker owned and operated the dealership here until 1923.
The 100 block of E. Michigan Avenue was the location of Albion’s first auto dealerships and repair shops. These began as extensions of the horse and buggy liveries that were located here in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Patrons at the nearby Hotel Albion on the corner (present site of the Shell gas station) and the two railroad depots a block or two away provided many customers for these liveries.
Harry Richards auto sales was at our location on Michigan Ave, in the 1940’s.
Albion Auto Mart in 2012, next door to Little Red Lunch Box and Albion PS Food Mart. The owners display some of their collectible cars as well as cars for sale in this photo.
Read more about the Arey family below.
History of Albion Auto Mart, the family
Albion Auto Mart was founded in 1951 by Leon Arey. Mr. Arey owned and operated Albion Auto Mart for over 30 years. Albion Auto Mart specializes in selling warrantied one owner vehicles, mostly lease and new car trades.
They also do service after the sale. Albion Auto Mart has always been located at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Ionia Street. Albion Auto Mart was established with a policy of legitimate pricing, unlike some “bad credit” facilities.
As Leon’s sons grew up, they became involved in the business. Chuck and John Arey learned as they grew, not only about selling used cars, but repairing them and foremost, taking care of their customers. Chuck graduated from Albion College in 1972. John graduated from Ferris in 1981 with a Bachelor’s degree in Automotive Management.
Upon graduation, he worked for one of the “Big Three” companies. Used to the family’s smaller business and personal concern for the customer, he returned to Albion Auto Mart where he found more personal satisfaction with his role.
Albion Auto Mart helps the customer select the vehicle that will best suit their needs, at the best price.
Chuck took over the business early in the 1980’s. Sadly, he passed in 2018. His brother John still values his customer’s goodwill and work hard to “keep the customer satisfied.”
We are very thankful for the community support and loyalty. Please visit our testimonial page to see some unsolicited comments from our actual customers.
Albion Auto Mart is a member of the Greater Albion Chamber of Commerce and supports a number of local charities.
Albion Auto Mart helps the customer select the vehicle that will best suit their needs, at the best price. Don’t be worried about a salesperson overselling you for his financial gain.
John Arey, and his late brother Chuck, are 7th generation descendents of Albion Pioneers dating to the mid 1800’s. The details of their relationship to John F. Slowey are in the last paragraph of this article, courtesy of the Albion History room.
More information about the Slowey family, who were on John and Chuck’s mother’s side of the family.